This page contains information for new and existing Secondary Students who need to purchase a laptop for the Secondary 1-to-1 Laptop Program.
Please check back periodically for updates.
COVID has impacted the manufacturing and distribution of goods and services. To make sure your child's device is ready for the start of the school year please carefully read the dates below and place orders as early as possible.
Important Dates for 2022-23 / 重要日期
The schedule shared here is for students moving from Grade 5 into Grade 6 and Secondary students new to The ISF. Existing Secondary students can place a laptop order at any time.
- Parent Laptop Program Information Live Stream: Tuesday 26th April 2022
- 10:30 am, Tuesday 26th click to view the live stream video Grade 5-to-6 1-to-1 Laptop Program. (This link will remain active after the live stream.)
- Details about next year's laptop models and order process is shared with parents.
- After the live stream EdTech will email supporting purchase information to all Grade 5 parents.
- Place Orders: 26th April to 27th May, 2022
- Place orders using Senco-Masslink Technology Ltd.'s online portal.
- Details and a link to the purchase portal are provided below.
- Deadline for Orders: 27th May, 2022
- Orders placed after 27th of May might not be ready for distributed at the start of the school year.
- If you miss this deadline please contact the EdTech team to review your purchasing options.
- Laptops are Prepared: June-July
- Laptops are cloned and prepared for delivery to the school.
- Distribution of Laptops: August - First Week of School
- Orders are distributed to students at the start of the year.
- Parents will be notified of the exact distribution date.
- The logistics for distributing devices to students will be finalized closer to the start of the school year to ensure it supports conditions at that time.
- Students with Laptops NOT Purchased Though the 1-to-1 Program
- Students bringing personal laptops to school shall bring the laptop the IT Help Desk on the first day of school. They will configure it for school use. Please be prepared to leave the laptop with the IT Help Desk for at least one full working day.
Live Stream Presentation Reviewing the 1-to-1 Laptop Program
This video contains information reviewing the 1-to-1 program and is on the 26th April, 2022.
This presentation contains the information on entire 1-to-1 Program covering both iPads and laptops.
All new MacBook Pro laptops come with the new USB-C connector. This new connector does not fit traditional USB devices (USB-A type connectors).
If you have a USB-A cable, device, or memory stick you want to plug into your laptop you will need to purchase a USB-A to USB-C Adapter. Click here for additional information.
This is included in all laptop packages but you can purchase an extra if you think you need it.
所有新的MacBook Pro筆記本電腦都帶有新的USB-C連接器。 此新連接器不適合傳統的USB設備（USB-A型連接器）。
This adapter allows a MacBook laptop to connect to external monitors and projectors using an HDMI port which can be useful if your child has an extra monitor or wants to connect their laptop to a home TV or LCD projector. This is available for purchase through the Senco-Masslink order website.
We recommend you purchase a backpack that includes a protective space for your child's laptop. This is usually a part of the backpack that allows the laptop to slip-in and be protected from books and stops it from falling out of the backpack.
Apple computers are well known for not having as many viruses as Windows computers however, in today's world many viruses can be Internet based which means they can infect your child's laptop simply by visiting a webpage.
Anti-virus software on a computer is a good idea.
There are several good brands on the market such as Kaspersky Lab and Symantec Anti-Virus. Please search for these for additional information.
Most people think about backing their computer up but never actually do it therefore the most important rule for backing up a laptop or computer is, 'do it!'
There are many methods for backing up a computer. You can use:
- An Online Backup Service - this is the most convenient method for backing your laptop up.
- Most online backup services run in the background meaning they back your laptop up continuously. Click here for a list comparing online backup solutions.
- An external hard drive - this is an easy way to backup your laptop up. Connect the external drive and copy all the content of your laptop to it. This requires you to remember to do this. We recommend the external hard drive be twice the size of your laptop's hard drive. Example: my laptop has a 256GB hard drive, I use a 500GB external hard drive to back it up.
- Time Machine by Apple - Time Machine is a backup solution built in to the OS X operating system of Apple computers. It is easy to use and requires an external hard drive. Make sure you read the instructions carefully before using this solution. Click here for information on Time Machine.
- 外置硬碟： 這也是較簡便的備份筆記本電腦方法。
- 通過連接外置硬碟，然後把筆記本電腦中的內容複製到外置硬碟。我地建議的外置硬碟大小是筆記本電腦容量的兩倍。例子：筆記本電腦的硬碟是 256GB，應當使用的外置硬碟來進行備份。
- Apple的 Time-Machine
- Time-Machine是內置於Apple電腦OS X操作系統中的備份解決方案。 這工具易於使用，並且需要配合外置硬碟使用。使用此解決方案前，請確保您集細閱讀說明。點擊此處以獲取有關Time Machine的信息。
There are two methods for purchasing a laptop for your child: through Senco-Masslink Technology Ltd., our school partner, or directly from an Apple store.
We recommend you purchase the device through Senco-Masslink.
Devices purchased through Senco-Masslink include the 3-year extended AppleCare warranty, comes pre-configured with The ISF school WiFi, and has additional resources pre-loaded.
Devices purchased directly from an Apple store only include 1 year AppleCare warranty, and do NOT come pre-configured for use at The ISF. Your child's device will need to be dropped off a the school's IT Department to be configured for use at the school. Due to the number of computers being supported, this can take up to two days. Regretfully this cannot be done early or over the summer.
We have partnered with Senco-Masslink Technology Ltd. to manage school orders. We are confident with their ability to deliver the level of support we expect. Orders are placed through Senco-Masslink's school purchasing program website, a link is provided below. The content on this page is regularly updated therefore we recommend you review all information before placing an order.
If you have any problems with your order, please contact Senco-Masslink directly.
- eMail: email@example.com
- Phone: 2511-5760
Orders are placed through Senco-Masslink's school purchasing program website.
First time purchasers:
When purchasing your child's first device you need to create a new user account on the website. Please use your ISF Academy parent email address for your account.
- This is required to verify you are a member of our school and can enjoy the education discount.
- This will also allow you to purchase additional Apple products (limit 1 per child) at the education discount price.
New Family Order Process
If you do not have the student school email yet, please upload supporting document (i.e. a Student ID card or Offer Letter) as proof and enter your personal email for account activation. Please upload your supporting documents in PDF or JPG format and file size within 2MB.
您有兩種方法為您的孩子購買電子設備：通過我們學校夥伴信港電腦有限公司，或直接到 Apple 商店。
- 經信港電腦購買的電子設備已包含將保障期延長至三年的 AppleCare 服務，連同預先設置的學校 WiFi連接和預先加載的附加資源。
- 經 Apple 商店直接購買的電子設備只包含一年 AppleCare 保障期，並不包括在弘立書院使用的配置，您需要把您孩子的電子設備交到學校的資訊科技部門以安裝在學校使用的配置。由於學校支援的電腦數目眾多，可能需要兩天時間。我們抱歉這無法在暑假或更早的時間完成。
- 這允許您以此折扣價購買額外 Apple 產品（每位孩子限買 1 件）。
如閣下未有學校電郵，請提供證明文件（例如：學生證或取錄通知書)及在學校電郵一欄填上個人電郵，上載之文件需以PDF 或JPG 格式，文件大小不大於2MB。
For 'Already Owned' Apple & Windows Laptops
If you already own an Apple laptop or want to use a Windows laptop, this is not a problem. We can support your child's computer.
For an Apple or Windows computer the it should be 2 or less years old. This is primarily because the laptop will be used heavily and we have found laptops 3-years old or older need to be replaced fairly soon.
For either an Apple or Windows laptop it should meet the following specifications:
- CPU: iCore 5.1 GHz or faster
- RAM: 8GB of RAM or greater
- Hard Drive: 256GB of storage or greater
- Screen size: we recommend 13”s but larger is OK but tends to be heavier.
Administration Rights: either you or your child will need to have admin rights on the computer so updates and changes to the computer can be made. If you set your child as a Standard User, we will need to coordinate with you to make changes and updates to the computer.
- for Apple computers it should support MacOS 11 (Big Sur) or newer.
- for Windows laptops it should support Windows 10 and have the latest available updates installed.
Please have a family purchased antivirus software installed to protect the laptop from viruses and malware. Norton Antivirus has a nice feature in that included in the purchase is Family Protection features and management which can be an added benefit.
MS Office is available to be installed using your child's ISF user account. All students qualify to install MS Office on their computer. Instructions on how to do this will be shared in their ICT class or they can ask for assistance from the IT Help Desk in CKS.
Additional software that should be installed.
For Apple laptops
Your child should have their own Apple account so they can install software. If you want to make this a managed Family account you can use Family Sharing. Please click here to view additional information on this feature and how to set it up.
For Windows laptops
Your child should have the following software installed on their computer.
- Movie Maker (this is similar to iMovie)
- Audacity (this is similar to GarageBand).
Registering the Laptop with IT
If you will be sending your child to school with a laptop you currently have, this is not a problem. The laptop needs to be registered with the school’s IT Department at the start of the school year. Your child can do this by bringing the laptop to school on the first day of school and by visiting the IT Help Desk in CKS. They will make note of the laptop’s MAC address, connect the laptop to the school’s WiFi, and setup printing on the computer.
Please be prepared to leave the laptop with the IT Help Desk for 1 day so they can complete the configuration and setup.
Grades 6 to 8
For students in Grades 6 to 8 all packages meet our student's needs, but we recommend Package B. It is powerful enough to support student work, is durable and light, and will last three years. The 13" model laptop screen is large enough to support students for the work they will be doing. They do not need a 16" screen at this age.
Grades 9 to 12
Being older, more experienced, students in Grades 9 to 12 can select a laptop model of their choice that meets their needs, this can also be a Windows. Some students, who do a lot of design, artwork or movie editing may benefit from having a larger screen.
By having all Grade 6 to 8 students use the same laptop model and brand we are able to provide the best possible support for their learning.
- Teachers can support students because they are familiar with the student's laptop.
- Students can support each other when learning new skills and tools.
- Teachers can plan their lessons more confidently knowing which software is on their student's laptop.
- Technical support is more efficient and effective because the technicians are familiar with the hardware.
- Your child will learn ICT skills at the same time as their peers, re-enforcing their learning.
- In Grades 6 to 8, a mixed model laptop situation is difficult to support which takes the focus away from learning.
- Knowing which platform the students are using allows teachers to develop learning resources to a higher level.
If your child already has a laptop, great! They are welcome to bring it to school, however, there are some limitations. Please note the following:
- The laptop must be no older than 2 years old.
- It is OK for a child to enter Grades 6 to 8 with a laptop that is 2 years old.
- The average lifespan of a laptop is 3 to 4 years, expect that an older laptop will need to be replaced with in one or two years.
- Older laptops begin to slow down and can have a hard time running newer software.
- The laptop has to be registered with the IT Department. This is done so the laptop can connect to the WiFi network.
The laptop must meet the following specifications:
- The operating system (OS) must be:
- For Apple: the OS is 11 or newer
- For Windows: the OS is Windows 10 or newer
- The CPU is iCore 5 1.1GHz or faster
- RAM: 8GB of RAM or greater
- Hard Drive: 256GB of storage or greater
- Screen Size: 13" or larger
No. We do not have a list of required software.
Students will be provided with software needed for their course work with one exception.
The one exception is Adobe software. If your child elects to take a Visual Arts, Design, or Media elective course you will need to purchase an education license to Adobe's Student & Teacher subscription. This is only required for the duration of the course. Adobe does not allow us to provide this for our students.
No. The school's Microsoft license allows our students to install Microsoft Office on their computer free of charge.
Students are allowed to use this while they are enrolled in and are actively attending ISF.
Some families find it useful to purchase their own copy of Microsoft Office. If you do this, the license allows you to install it on up to 5 separate computers.
如果你的子女已經有一台筆記本電腦，那就太好了！ 歡迎他們將它帶到學校，但是亦有一些限制。 請注意以下事項：
- 筆記本電腦必須登記於IT部門。 這樣做是為了讓筆記本電腦能連接到WiFi網絡。
- 對於Windows：操作系統為Windows 10或更新版本
- CPU: iCore 5 1.1GHz或更快
- RAM: 8GB或更大的RAM
- 硬盤: 256GB或更大的存儲空間
- 屏幕尺寸: 13英寸或更大
Adobe軟件並不是學校工作/作業必須的軟件。 有關額外的資訊，請參閱Adobe FAQ。
部份家庭發現購買自己的Microsoft Office軟件相較有用。 如果你這樣做，許可證將允許您在最多5部設備上安裝Microsoft Office。